The API® pH Test Kit monitors pH to maintain healthy freshwater conditions in your tank. pH control is imperative to prevent the harmful effects of overly alkaline or acidic aquarium water on fish and plant life, so take a few minutes each week to maintain and monitor your pH conditions with this easy-to-use kit! Tests read pH from 6.0 – 7.6, and will help you quickly and easily determine whether your levels are too high or too low.
Why Test pH?
pH is the measure of acidity of water. A pH reading of 7.0 is neutral. A pH higher than 7.0 is alkaline, and a pH lower than 7.0 is acidic. Maintaining the aquarium at the proper pH ensures optimal water quality. The pH should be tested weekly, since natural materials in the aquarium (such as fish waste and uneaten food) can cause pH changes.
The minimum pH reading for this kit is 6.0 and the maximum is 7.6. Under extreme water conditions, readings below the minimum will read 6.0 and above the maximum will read 7.6. pH adjustments outside the range of this kit will not show any changes until the pH of the aquarium water is within the range of this kit. When keeping livebearers, goldfish, African Cichlids or marine fish and invertebrates use the API HIGH RANGE pH TEST KIT.
Recommended pH Levels
A pH of 7.0 is ideal when keeping a community aquarium containing a variety of tropical fish. Goldfish and livebearers prefer a pH of 7.5. Many Amazonian fish, like angelfish and neon tetras, prefer a pH of 6.5 to 6.8. Mollies and swordtails thrive at pH 7.2 to 7.5. To raise or lower the pH of a freshwater aquarium, use API pH UP® or pH DOWN®. To automatically adjust pH to a preset level, use API PROPER pH® 6.5, 7.0, or 7.5.
API recommends that you take a few minutes each week to monitor your aquarium conditions and create a better underwater world for your fish. Testing your aquarium water has never been so easy or accurate!
1. Fill a clean test tube with 5 ml of water to be tested (to the line on the tube).
2. Add 3 drops of pH Test Solution, holding dropper bottle upside down in a completely vertical position to assure uniformity of drops.
3. Cap the test tube and invert tube several times to mix solution.
4. Read the test results by comparing the color of the solution to the pH Color Card. The tube should be viewed in a well-lit area against the white area of the card. The closest match indicates the pH of the water sample. Rinse the test tube with clean water after use.
- Accurately reads pH 6.0 – 7.6
- Contains 250 tests and includes 1 test bottle, easy-to-ready instructions, glass test tube and color chart
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Aquarium Supplies
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals (API) has been helping people take good care of ornamental fish for over 40 years. Their research and development scientists have advanced the care of fish with all-natural medications, stable bacteria for biological filtration, one-bottle test kits, consumer-friendly dosing caps and much more. They’ve received over 25 global patents for their breakthrough innovations in the aquatics industry. And they continue to look for ways to improve the fishkeeping experience for hobbyists. Research. Experience. Dedication to scientific, quality treatment for healthy fish. It’s what makes API the first choice of aquarium owners. API manufactures and sells hundreds of products across many different product categories, including aquarium and pond treatments, aquarium equipment, aquariums and fish nutrition.