- Silicate occurs in tap water or purified water when the reverse osmosis or de ionizing unit is not functioning properly.
- Silicate can result in diatom bloom and can block some essential trace elements such as vanadium and molybdenum.
- The Salifert Test kit for silicate is a very fast, sensitive and accurate test, with two scales: an ultra low scale which is particularly useful for marine water and a high scale which is suitable for freshwater environments.
- Sufficient for 60 tests.
- Can be used for marine, fresh and garden pond water
Erroneous results might be obtained when the carbonate hardness is higher that 20dKH. This corresponds to an alkalinity of 7meq/l. Normally the carbonate hardness is well below the above mentioned values.
KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN. In case of contact with the skin, wash with plenty of water. In case of contact with eyes, was heyes with plenty of water and consult a physician immediately.
Si-1 and Si-2 are acidic and Si-3 contains a reducing agent. Not for consumption.
- Add with syringe 10ml of water in the test vial (low resolution mode 1ml)
- Add to this 4 drops of Si-1 (low resolution 2 drops) reagent and swirl the test vial gently for 10 seconds. Allow to stand for 5 minutes.
- Add to this 4 drops of Si-2 (low resolution 2 drops) reagent and swirl the contents gently for 30 seconds.
- Add to this 1 level scoop of Si-3 reagent and swirl the test vial for 20 seconds.
- Place the open test vial on top of the color chart on a part of the chart which is white and compare the colors looking from above. Read the corresponding dissolved silicon content. An intermediate color corresponds to an intermediate dissolved silicon content.
Note: If the low resolution mode was used then multiply the values on the color chart by 10.
The silicate values are in ppm (mg/l) siliconoxide. To convert the values from ppm siliconoxide to ppm silicon multiply the value by 2.1.
Avoid using tap water or RO water which contains more than 2ppm as dissolved silicon. In marine water the dissolved silicon content should be below the detection limit of this test.
Salifert is a Holland base company that produces top of the line test kits as well as tank additives and foods for marine and reef aquariums.